油管三大网红英语教师聚首,聊聊英、美、加三国英语的差异


17:00 Hello everyone and welcome back to “English…

油管三大网红英语教师聚首,聊聊英、美、加三国英语的差异插图

17:00

Hello everyone and welcome back to “English with Lucy”.

我们好,等待回到”跟着 Lucy 学英语”。

I’ve got a great video planned for you today.

我今日为你们预备了一个很棒的视频。

We are going to be comparing British English with American English and Canadian English.

咱们将比照英式英语、美式英语和加拿大英语。

And I have two fabulous guests on my channel and I think you might recognise them.

我的频道上有两位很棒的客人,我想你可以会认出他们。

Hey, my name is Rachel, I’m from the US and I have a channel here on YouTube where I focus on all things, spoken English with an American accent.

嘿,我叫瑞秋,我来自美国,我在 YouTube 上有一个频道,这个频道专心于一切内容,美式口音的英语口语。

My accent is what I would call a standard American accent.

我的口音是我所说的标准美国口音。

I grew up in Florida, I went to school in the Midwest and since then I’ve lived in Boston, New York and Philadelphia.

我在佛罗里达长大,在中西部上学,从那时起我就住在波士顿、纽约和费城。

So we have Rachel representing the US and representing Canada, we have Bob the Canadian.

所以咱们有代表美国和加拿大的瑞秋,咱们有加拿大人鲍勃。

Well, hello Lucy and hello Rachel and hello to all of Lucy’s viewers.

好吧,你好,Lucy,你好瑞秋,Lucy一切观众们好。

I’m Bob the Canadian from the YouTube channel, “Learn English with Bob the Canadian” where you’ll often find me out somewhere on my farm, teaching a short English lesson.

我是来自 YouTube “与加拿大人鲍勃一同学习英语”频道的加拿大人鲍勃,,在那里你常常会在我的农场某处找到我,教授简略的英语课程。

If you haven’t met me before my name’s Lucy, I run this channel, “English with Lucy” and I am from Cambridgeshire in the United Kingdom and I speak with a modern RP accent.

假定你还没见过我,我叫 Lucy,我运营这个频道,”跟着 Lucy 学英语”,我来自英国剑桥郡,我说的是现代标准口音。

By the way, this is a two-part video.

趁便说一下,这是一个由两有些构成的视频。

Today, we are looking at vocabulary and in the future, there will be a part two with pronunciation where we will definitively find out if Canadians say about or not.

今日,咱们要看词汇,将来将有说明发音的第二有些,,咱们将清楚晓得加拿大人如何说 about 这个词。

Okay, so I have sent Bob and Rachel a list of pictures and they are going to tell us how they say it where they’re from because there are going to be some differences.

好的,所以我现已给 Bob 和 Rachel 发送了一系列图像,,他们会告诉咱们他们那里怎么说它,因为会有一些差异。

Let’s get started with this first one.

让咱们从第一个初步。

This first one is definitely the letter Z.

第一个必定是字母 zed。

Although as a child, we watched the American version of Sesame Street and they tried to get me to learn it as the letter Z.

尽管咱们小时分看过美国版的芝麻街,他们企图让我把它学成字母 /zi:/。

But this in Canada is definitely the letter Z.

但在加拿大,这必定是字母 /zed/。

X, Y, Z. X, Y, Z.

I would definitely call this letter Z.

我必定会把这个字母读作 /zi:/。

Interesting.

风趣。

For me in the UK and British English, it is the letter Z as well.

关于在英国的我和英式英语来说,它也是读作字母 /zed/。

I really relate to Bob on that one because we used to watch loads of TV shows and cartoons that were produced in the US and they always used to say Z as well and I remember finding it quite confusing but yeah, X, Y, Z, over here.

我真的很了解鲍勃刚刚说的,因为咱们早年看过许多在美国制造的电视节目和卡通片他们也常常说 /zi:/,我记住我觉得这很令人利诱,可是是的,这边是说 X,Y,Z。

Okay, let’s take a look at this next one.

好的,让咱们看看下一个。

What would they call this?

他们会怎么说这个?

So this is definitely a bill in Canadian English.

所以这在加拿大英语中必定叫做 bill。

When you’re at a restaurant and when you’re done eating, you ask your server if you can have the bill.

当你在餐厅吃完饭时,你会问效能员你是不是可以结账。

The check is the most common but I would also call this the bill.

Check 是最多见的说法,但我也称其为 bill。

In UK this is always the bill.

在英国,它老是被叫做 bill。

Can I have the bill?

我可以结账吗?

And funny story, I worked as a waitress when I was a teenager and someone once said to me, “Can I have the bill”?

还有一个风趣的故事,我十几岁的时分当过效能员,早年有人对我说,”我可以结账吗?”

But I misread their lips and I thought they said, “Can I have some milk”?

但我误读了他们的唇语,我认为他们在说,”我可以喝点牛奶吗?”

And I brought them a glass of milk and they were just so confused.

然后我给他们拿了一杯牛奶,他们很利诱。

Okay, onto the third, what would you call this?

好的,到第三个,你会怎么说这个?

And remember that you can write in the comment section below what you would call these as well if you say something different.

请记住,假定你有不一样的说法,你可以鄙人面的谈论区写下来。

So we call these either running shoes or runners in Canadian English.

所以咱们在加拿大英语中称这些为 running shoes 或 runners。

If you’re gonna go out for a walk or a run, you put on your running shoes or you put on your runners.

假定你要出去漫步或跑步,请穿上跑鞋或穿上跑步鞋。

There are lots of different terms I might use for this, tennis shoes or running shoes, even though they might not specifically be for tennis or running.

我可以会运用许多不一样的说法来标明这个,网球鞋或跑鞋,即便它们可以不是专门用于网球或跑步。

Also sneakers.

还有运动鞋。

Interesting.

风趣。

We don’t use any of those words in the UK.

咱们在英国不运用任何这些词。

We understand them, sneakers, running shoes, tennis shoes, but I would say that running shoes would be specifically for running.

咱们了解它们,运动鞋、跑鞋、网球鞋,但我会说跑鞋是专门用于跑步的。

In general, we call these shoes trainers, trainers.

一般来说,咱们称这些鞋为练习鞋、练习鞋。

Okay, onto the next.

好的,下一个。

A long time ago in Canadian English we called this a Chesterfield but now we just call it a couch.

好久早年,在加拿大英语中,咱们称其为 Chesterfield,但如今咱们只称其为 coach。

Sometimes we might say sofa but usually when we see something like this we say, “I’m gonna go sit on the couch”.

有时咱们可以会说 sofa,但一般当咱们看到这样的东西时,咱们会说,”我要坐在沙发上。”

I would call this either a couch or a sofa.

我会称它为 couch 或 sofa。

Funny, okay, so we would hardly ever call this a couch.

好笑,好的,所以咱们几乎不会称它为couch。

That sounds very American and Canadian to me.

这对我来说听起来非常有美国和加拿劲个性。

We would almost always call this a sofa or sometimes a settee.

咱们几乎老是称它为 sofa,,有时也称为 settee。

A Chesterfield to me seems like an old fashioned leather sofa, specific design.

Chesterfield 对我来说就像一个旧式的皮沙发,有特另外方案。

We do have a lot of Americanisms in British English and we would say a couch potato, not a sofa potato that doesn’t work.

咱们的英式英语中的确有美国化的东西,咱们会说 couch potato,而不是 sofa potato,那样说不可。

If someone’s lazy, they’re a couch potato so we have adopted that.

假定有人很懒,那么他们就是 couch potato,所以咱们选用了它。

Okay, onto the next one.

好的,下一个。

The $1 coin in Canada has a looney on it.

加拿大的 1 元硬币上有一只 looney 鸟。

That’s a bird that lives in Northern Canada.

那是一种日子在加拿大北部的鸟。

So we decided we would just call this the looney.

所以咱们抉择叫它 looney。

Then when we decided to have a $2 coin, we thought we would call it a tooney ’cause it’s worth $2 and it rhymes with looney.

然后,当咱们抉择制造一枚 2 加元的硬币时,咱们认为咱们会称它为”tooney”,因为它值 2 元,而且它与 looney 押韵。

Slang for $1, a buck.

1 美元的俚语是 buck。

I love the looney and then the tooney.

我喜爱 looney,然后是 tooney。

I think that’s absolutely hilarious.

我认为这必定是搞笑的。

Yeah, I’ve heard of buck before.

是的,我早年传闻过 buck。

So we don’t have dollars in the UK.

所以咱们在英国没有美元。

We have pounds and our slang term for one pound is a quid.

咱们有英镑,一英镑的俚语是 quid。

And we haven’t thought of a cool name for two.

咱们还没有给两英镑想出一个很帅的名字。

We call it two quid.

咱们称之为两英镑

One quid, two quid.

一英镑,两英镑。

Another thing to note is when we have five pounds or five quid, we’ll call it a fiver and for 10, a tenner.

另一件要留心的作业是,当咱们说 5 英镑时,咱们称其为 fiver,10 英镑为 tenner。

In Canada, we would call this pop.

在加拿大,咱们叫它 pop。

I think it’s the second half of the word soda pop.

我认为这是 soda pop 这个词的后半有些。

I think my American cousins use the first part of the word.

我认为我的美国表亲运用了这个词的第一有些。

I think they call it soda but we just call it pop.

我认为他们叫它 soda,但咱们就叫它 pop。

Actually in the US we use either soda or pop depending on the region.

实践上在美国,咱们根据区域的不一样会说 soda 或 pop。

I personally use soda.

我自个会说 soda。

Interesting, okay.

风趣,好吧。

So there are definitely some clear similarities between those two unsurprisingly.

因而,公然如此,这两者之间必定有一些显着的类似之处。

In the UK it’s very different.

在英国,情况非常不一样。

You will find some people, I think more up north saying pop, but in general we call it fizzy drinks which doesn’t sound as cool.

你会发现有些人,我认为北方更多人说 pop,但一般来说,咱们叫它 fizzy drinks,听起来不那么酷。

Now, the word soda to us is quite confusing because a soda for us is fizzy water.

如今,soda 这个词对咱们来说很令人利诱,因为 soda对咱们来说就是气泡水。

So I remember going over to the US and I was offered a soda and I thought, oh, how boring.

所以我记住去美国时,别人老是给我 soda,,我就想,哦,多无聊。

No, I’ll have something more interesting like a Coke please.

不,我要更风趣的东西,比方可乐。

Okay, onto the next one.

好的,下一个。

In Canada, we use the metric system so we measure distance in kilometres, but that seems like a really big word.

在加拿大,咱们运用公制体系,所以咱们以公里为单位测量间隔,但这如同是一个非常正式的词。

So sometimes we just say clicks.

所以有时咱们只是说 clicks。

If you ask someone, “How do I get to Niagara Falls”?

假定你问或人,”我怎么去尼亚加拉大瀑布?”

They might say, “Oh, it’s about 40 clicks from here”.

他们可以会说,”哦,它离这儿大约有 40 公里。”

Sometimes it’s spelled with a C sometimes with a K.

有时用 C 拼写,有时用 K 拼写。

I would call that one kilometre.

我会叫它一公里。

But of course in the US we’re much more familiar with miles.

但当然,在美国,咱们更了解英里。

So we’re quite boring here.
油管三大网红英语教师聚首,聊聊英、美、加三国英语的差异插图1

所以咱们这儿很无聊。

We would just call it a kilometre, but sometimes when we’re running or doing sport, we would just shorten that down to K.

咱们只是称它为一公里,但有时当咱们跑步或做运动时,咱们会将其缩短为 K。

So I love running and I like to run a 5K and 10K, five kilometres, 10 kilometres.

所以我喜爱跑步,我喜爱跑 5K 和 10K,5 公里,10 公里。

I’ve never heard of click before, that’s quite cool.

我早年从未传闻过 click,这很帅。

For driving we do still tend to use miles.

关于驾御,咱们仍然倾向于运用英里。

Our speed is in miles per hour.

咱们的速度是英里每小时。

How weird is that.

这很新鲜。

I go running in kilometres but I drive in miles.

油管三大网红英语教师聚首,聊聊英、美、加三国英语的差异插图2

我以公里为单位跑步,但我以英里为单位开车。

We need to sort that out.

咱们需要处置这个疑问。

All right, let’s talk about this one.

好吧,咱们来说说这个。

This is what I actually celebrated this weekend that’s just gone past.

这就是我刚刚曩昔的这个周末在庆祝的作业。

In Canadian English we would call this either a stag and doe or a jack and jill.

在加拿大英语中,咱们将其称为 stag and doe或 a jack and jill。

It’s a party that a couple has about a month or two before their actual wedding, where they just invite friends and family over just to have a good time to celebrate the fact that they’re getting married.

这是一对配偶在实践婚礼前大约一两个月举办的派对,他们只是聘请兄弟和家人来庆祝他们成婚的夸姣韶光。

That would be a bachelor party for a man, a bachelorette party for a woman.

男性的叫做 bachelor party(独身派对),女人的叫做 bachelorette party。

Ah, it’s completely different in the UK.

啊,在英国完全不一样。

We say hen do.

咱们说 hen do。

A do is a party or a stag do.

Do 指的是派对或许说 stag do。

Now, it’s more common for them to be more than one night.

如今,更常见的是它不只是有一晚上。

People like to go away for weekends.

我们喜爱周末外出。

But if it’s just one night you can say hen night or stag night as well.

但假定只是一晚,你也可以说 hen night或 stag night。

Also it’s not so common to celebrate them together as Bob explained but it is becoming more common.

此外,像鲍勃说明的那样一同庆祝并不常见,但它变得越来越广泛。

And we put stag and hen together and we call it a sten, hag didn’t sound so good.

咱们把 stag 和 hen 放在一同,咱们称之为 sten,hag 听起来不太好。

Okay, this next one is an interesting one and I kind of just put it in for Bob.

好的,下一个很风趣,这个我只问鲍勃。

Let’s see what he says.

让咱们看看他怎么说。

Canadians often add the word eh to the end of a sentence to turn it into a question.

加拿大人常常在语句的结束添加 eh 把它变成一个问句。

So I can’t really explain how it works but I’ll give you a few examples.

所以我无法真实说明它的原理的,但我会给你举几个比方。

I could say it’s nice day out here, eh?

我可以说这是夸姣的一天,嗯?

Or I could say it’s getting hot out here, eh?

或许我可以说这儿越来越热了,嗯?

Or if it was getting a bit windy, I could say it’s getting windy out here, eh? .

或许,假定风有点大,我可以说这儿风很大,嗯?。

All of those would be examples of how Canadians use the word eh.

一切这些都是加拿大人运用嗯的方法。

A common question tag in the US would be, right?

在美国,一个常见的疑问标签是,对吧?

Yes, I just wanted to hear Bob eh.

是的,我只是想听鲍勃说嗯。

I know it’s a common stereotype that, well, there’s two that I’ve heard of Canada that they say about.

我晓得这是一种常见的呆板形象,好吧,,有两个,我传闻过他们说 about。

In British English we do use eh sometimes, eh, eh?

在英式英语中,咱们有时的确运用嗯,嗯,嗯?

Or isn’t it or doesn’t it we do say a lot.

或许 isn’t it 或 doesn’t,咱们的确说了许多。

It’s hot, isn’t it?

很热,不是吗?

Sometimes we can shorten this down to innit.

有时咱们可以将其缩短为 innit。

It’s hot, init?

很热,不是吗?

Oh my God, init?

哦,我的天,不是吗?

Doesn’t it can go to donnit, donnit.

Doesn’t 可以减缩成 donnit,是吗。

I’ve heard them say right a lot in American English.

我听到他们用美式英语说”对吗”说得许多。

That’s definitely creeping into British English because we just consume so much American media.

这必定会渗透到英式英语中,因为咱们只是触摸了太多的美国媒体。

So Canada is a pretty big country and in different parts, I think they have different words for this.

所以加拿大是一个恰当大的国家,我认为在不一样的当地,他们对此有不一样的说法。

We call them smokes.

咱们称它们为烟。

In some parts of Canada they might call them darts.

在加拿大的某些区域,他们可以会称它们为 darts。

But most people I think just call them cigarettes.

但我认为大大都人只是称他们为卷烟。

I don’t smoke so I’m not super familiar here but I would say cigarettes or for shorter or for slang, ciggies or smokes.

我不抽烟,所以我不是很了解,但我会说卷烟或更短的或俚语,ciggies 或 smokes。

So smokes sounds very very American gangster film to me.

所以抽烟对我来说听起来非常有美国黑帮影片的感触。

In British English, cigarettes or ciggies.

在英式英语中,咱们说 cigarettes 或 ciggies。

We also use the word fag which if you use it to describe a person it’s a really offensive word but it’s a common slang term for cigarettes.

咱们也运用 fag 这个词,假定你用它来描述一自个,它是一个非常令人恶感的词,但它是卷烟的常用俚语。

Okay, onto the next, what do you call this?

好的,进入下一个,你怎么说这个?

So these are what we call freezies.

所以这些就是咱们所说的 freezies。

You buy them in the store and they’re not frozen.

你在商铺里买的时分,它们不是冷冻的。

When you come home you put them in the freezer and in a couple of days they’re frozen and then on a hot day, kids can take them out, snip the end off with a pair of scissors and eat it to cool off.

当你回家时,你把它们放在冰箱里,几天后它们会冻起来,然后在炽热的气候里,孩子们可以把它们拿出来,用剪刀剪掉结尾,然后吃掉它。

I call this a popsicle.

我把这个叫做 popsicle。

Okay, so yeah, we’re definitely call in British English this a popsicle but we would also call it a lolly.

好吧,是的,咱们在英式英语中必定会称它为popsicle,但咱们也会称它为 lolly。

Any kind of frozen treat that isn’t creamy, we’d call a lolly.

任何一种非奶油状的冷冻食物,咱们都称之为 lolly。

If it’s creamy, it’s an ice cream.

假定它是奶油状的,那就是冰淇淋。

So in Canada we would call this homo milk or whole milk.

所以在加拿大,咱们会称这种为 homo milk 或 whole milk。

Homo is short for homogenised.

Homo 是均质化的缩写。

I think they mix the milk and the cream together so it won’t separate any more.

我认为他们将牛奶和奶油混合在一同,这样它就不会再分隔了。

So this in Canada would be either homo milk or whole milk.

所以这在加拿大体么是 homo milk,要么是 whole milk。

That would be whole milk.

咱们叫 whole milk。

Ah, okay.

啊,好的。

So if someone asks me for homo milk, I would not know what they’re talking about.

所以假定有人问我要 homo milk,我会不晓得他们在说啥。

I would understand whole milk but in UK we tend to call it full fat milk or full cream milk.

我能了解 whole milk,但在英国,咱们倾向于称其为 full fat milk 或 full cream milk(全脂牛奶)。

And I think with the fat removed is skimmed or semi-skimmed which is half and half.

我认为去掉脂肪后的就是脱脂或半脱脂,即一半一半。

Also I forgot to ask Bob, if it’s true that his milk comes in bags.

我也忘了问鲍勃,他那里的牛奶是不是装在袋子里的。

I’ve heard that in Canada milk comes in bags.

我传闻在加拿大牛奶是袋装的。

Okay, next one.

好的,下一个。

What are they going to call this?

他们会怎么叫这个?

So we would call this either a parking garage or a parkade.

所以咱们称之为 parking garage或 parkade。

When you go to see a show in a city like Toronto, you park your car in a parking garage or in a parkade.

当你去多伦多这样的城市看表演时,你会把车停在泊车场里。

I would call this a parking garage.

我会称之为 parking garage。

For me, this is a multi-storey car park.

对我来说,这是一个多层泊车场。

We do have a habit of over-complicating things, yeah.

咱们的确有把作业凌乱化的习气,是的。

One thing I’ve noticed is that in the US they call it a parking lot.

我留心到的一件事是,在美国,他们称之为 parking lot。

We always call this a car park.

咱们老是称其为 car park。

And if it has multiple levels, it’s a multi-storey car park.

假定它有多个层次,那就是一个多层泊车场。

I would definitely understand parking garage or garage as we would call it.

我必定会了解咱们所说的 parking garage 或许 garage。

But if someone said parkade I would think that might be like a mix between a park and an arcade which sounds so fun and I would be so bitterly disappointed when I get there and it’s a multi-storey car park.

但假定有人说 parkade,我会认为这可所以公园和拱廊的混合体,听起来很风趣,而当我抵达那里时,我会非常绝望,因为这是一个多层泊车场。

All right, onto the next one.

好的,下一个。

What do you call this?

你怎么叫这个?

So we would call this a washroom in Canada.

所以在加拿大咱们称之为 washroom。

I still remember one of my first visits to the US when I asked someone if I could use their washroom and they looked at me funny because I think they call it a bathroom there, but in Canada, this is definitely a washroom.

我仍然记住我初度造访美国时,当我问或人我是不是可以运用他们的 washroom 时,他们看着我很风趣,因为我认为他们在那里称它为 bathroom,但在加拿大,这必定是 washroom。

I would call this a bathroom or we would also say restroom.

我会称其为 bathroom,或许咱们也称其为 restroom。

Interesting.

风趣。

In British English, we’d understand washroom and restroom and bathroom of course but we tend to call it the loo or just simply the toilet.

在英式英语中,咱们当然会了解 washroom、restroom 和 bathroom,但咱们倾向于称其为 loo 或简称为 toilet。

Bathroom to me implies that it has a bath and a shower.

Bathroom 对我来说意味着它有浴缸和淋浴。

So a public bathroom, well, I don’t wanna have a shower or a bath in a public bath.

所以公共浴室,好吧,我不想在公共浴室淋浴或洗澡。

You will often see toilets or public restrooms in the UK marked with WC.

在英国,你常常会看到标有 WC 的厕所或公共厕所。

This is short for water closet but no one ever says water closet.

这是抽水马桶的缩写,但历来没有人说抽水马桶。

We always say the loo or the toilets.

咱们老是说 loo 或 toilets。

Where are the toilets, where’s the toilet?

厕地址哪里,厕地址哪里?

So my friends from across the pond have said that they find saying the word toilet directly quite vulgar.

所以近邻的兄弟都说,直接说厕所这个词很粗鄙。

And I do understand that but it’s just so ingrained into our everyday speech.

我的确了解这一点,但它在咱们的往常说话中根深柢固。

Right, let’s take a look at this next one.

对了,咱们看看下一个。

What did they say?

他们说的啥?

We would call this either a fire hall or a fire station. 咱们称之为 fire hall 或 fire station。

Fire hall is the place where you would find firefighters and fire trucks.

Fire hall 是你可以找到消防员和消防车的当地。

And if there’s a fire, the alarm goes off and they jump in their trucks and they go to put out the fire.

假定发生火灾,警报就会响起,他们会跳上货车去救活。

So we would call it a fire hall or a fire station.

所以咱们称它为 fire hall 或 fire station。

Fire station but also firehouse.

Fire station,还有 firehouse。

Interesting.

风趣。

For us, this is just a fire station.

咱们只会叫它 fire station。

We never ever say fire hall or what was the other one, fire house.

咱们历来没有说过 fire hall 或另一个是啥来着,fire house。

No, we never say that, fire station.

不,咱们从不这么说,我么只说 fire station。

Actually, I’ve just thought there’s a bar in London called the Chiltern Firehouse which is meant to be very nice.

实践上,我刚刚想起来伦敦有一家叫 Chiltern Firehouse 的酒吧,大约很不错。

Actually, it’s very nice, I’ve been there.

实际上,我去过那里,非常好。

And yeah, I never even thought twice about that.

是的,我历来没有多想过这件事。

Maybe we do say firehouse every now and again.

或许咱们不时会说 firehouse。

All right, onto the next one, what do they say for this?

好的,下一个,他们怎么说这个?

In Canada we often refer to electricity as hydro.

在加拿大,咱们常常将电力称为水电。

Sometimes there’s a storm and the hydro goes out.

有时有暴风雨,水电就会停电。

The poles along the road are called hydro poles.

沿路的电线杆称为水电杆。

So I think this is because a lot of our electricity comes from hydro electric power plants.

所以我认为这是因为咱们的许多电力来自水力发电厂。

But in Canada, you call electricity hydro.

但在加拿大,你会把电叫做水电。

We call that electricity.

咱们称之为电。

Interesting.

风趣。

Because if you said the hydro wasn’t working I would presume that was your water supply.

因为假定你说水电没了,我会认为是你停水了。

In British English we call this electricity, the electric.

在英式英语中,咱们称这种电为 electric。

We also say the power so we have a power cut or the power has gone out or energy.

咱们也说电能,所以咱们会说停电或电停了,或许叫它动力。

You know, my energy bill’s gone up so much.

你晓得吗,我的电费账单上涨了许多。

This is because we use lots of different sources as gas in many houses.

这是因为咱们在许多房子中运用许多不一样的动力作为煤气。

Oil is what we use here.

咱们在这儿运用的是石油。

It depends if you’re on the mains supply or not.

这取决于你是不是运用主电源。

Okay, what do they call this?

好吧,他们怎么叫这个?

So we would call this either brown bread or whole wheat bread.

所以咱们称它为黑面包或全麦面包。

It’s more common for me as an older Canadian to call it brown bread.

作为一个年长的加拿大人,我更常称它为黑面包。

I think for my kids they would call this whole wheat bread.

我想我的孩子们会称这种面包为全麦面包。

But definitely when I was growing up, we had white bread and we had brown bread.

但在我长大的时分,必定有白面包和黑面包。

I would call that whole wheat bread.

我会称之为全麦面包。

I’m definitely seeing more similarities between Canadian English and British English than American English and British English.

与美国英语和英国英语比较,我必定看到加拿大英语和英国英语之间的类似之处更多。

We also call this brown bread.

咱们也称这种面包为黑面包。

Multi-grain and whole wheat is also creeping in but in general we have brown bread, white bread.

杂粮和全麦也逐步盛行,但一般咱们有黑面包、白面包。

Okay, what did they say for this one?

好吧,他们怎么说这个?

Sometimes when you’re at a restaurant you get a little bit of food on your mouth and you use a serviette to wipe it off.

有时,当你在餐厅时,你的嘴上会沾上一点食物,然后你会用餐巾纸将其擦掉。

So this is what we in Canada would call a serviette.

所以这就是咱们在加拿大所说的餐巾纸。

That’s a paper napkin.

那是纸巾。

Ah, interesting.

啊,风趣。

In British English we use both serviette and napkin.

在英式英语中,咱们两个都说,serviette 和 napkin。

For me a serviette seems like a kind of cheaper white one that’s disposable and a napkin is either decorated or made of material.

对我来说,餐巾纸如同是那种更廉价的白色的,,它是一次性的,餐巾纸要么是有装饰的,要么是由材料制成的。

Right, let’s see what they say for this one.

好吧,让咱们看看他们怎么说这个。

We call a case of beer with 24 bottles in it a two-four in Canada.

在加拿大咱们将一箱装有 24 瓶的啤酒叫做 two-four。

Did you get it?

你能理解吗?

There’s 24 bottles of beer in it, two-four.

里边有 24 瓶啤酒,two-four。

So we call a case of beer with 24 bottles of beer in it a two-four.

因而,咱们将一箱装有 24 瓶的啤酒叫做 two-four。

We would call that a case of beer.

咱们称之为一箱啤酒。

In British English we would call this a 24 pack.

在英式英语中,咱们将其称为 24 瓶装。

If someone asks me for a two-four, I don’t think I’d know what they’re talking about but I like that, that’s very efficient.

假定有人找我要 2-4,我想我会不晓得他们在说啥,但我喜爱这个说法,这非常有功率。

关于作者: acad2018

为您推荐

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注